PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Melting my boat ???

Steffen
18.03.2005, 16:43
Hello to the forum.

Just a quick question to the experts.

Is it possible to use Acetone for cleaning my Hypalon boat ( Its cheap and effective ) ???

I have tried using it on a small piece of hypalon and it was extremely good at cleaning it.

Now before i go and clean the boat with Acetone i wonder if there is any risk in doing so ( am i going to melt away my boat ) or damage it in any other way ???

Hat jemand ein guten rat (or some good advice) für mich. ??? :schlaumai

dodl
18.03.2005, 18:35
Hi Steffen,

I wouldn't clean my hypalon boat with acetone. Hypalon is fairly resistive against aliphatic solvents, but it doesn't like aromatics and ketones. In fact i was able to clean away the adhesive with acetone, when i tried to repair my old Zodiac. Toluol (aromatic) was much more agressive, but nevertheless, acetone took away the adhesive and some of the hypalon.

I would not use any solvents on my tubes, except maybe alcohole for dirt, that's really hard to remove. If you love your boat, just use some kind of dedicated tube cleaner. Maybe it takes some more effort to get it clean, but the tubes will last longer. :)

cu
martin

hobbycaptain
18.03.2005, 21:35
Maybe it takes some more effort to get it clean, but the tubes will last longer. :)

especially the adhesive dressings (glues, Klebestellen) :ferdis: .

Steffen
19.03.2005, 00:48
OK thanks for the warning :chapeau:

So acetone is out of question then...

Now i guess the next step for me is getting some pro cleaner ( the Poly Marine stuff ) or... ?

Is it possible that anyone has a tip on how to blend your own cleaning solution from regular household chemicals ?

Or should i just accept that the " pro stuff " is the best and go buy some...???

Holländer
19.03.2005, 09:00
Hi Steffen,

for examples look here (http://www.schlauchboot-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2128&highlight=reiniger) at Posting 7

or here (http://www.wiking-schlauchbootclub.de/Mitglieder_berichten/Der_Dreck_muss_weg_/der_dreck_muss_weg_.html)

Or use the Forum searchfunction and type the word "reiniger"

Greetings,

Frank :)

dodl
19.03.2005, 10:43
Hiya,

Yes steffen, the polymarine cleaner is a darn good one. I used it last season on my 4,7m RIB, and got very good results. Used about one and a half bottle of the cleaner.

I wouldn't experiment with household chemicals. For the GRP Parts i used a strong household cleaner. Worked really nice, but i'd never let it on my tubes :)
The polymarine is worth the money.

cu
martin

Steffen
19.03.2005, 15:09
Thank you very much :chapeau:

your advice is great help for me :chapeau: